SMITE – a MOBA Fit for the Gods
Title: Stormfall: SMITE
Type: Desktop / Xbox One
Developer: Hi-Rez Studios
Publisher: Hi-Rez Studios, Level Up! Games, Tencent
SMITE is a free-to-play online battleground between gods (known in-game as “immortals”). Players choose from a selection of mythical gods, join session-based area combat and use custom powers and team tactics against other play-controlled Gods and NPC-controlled minions.
With 68 gods and immortals from Chinese, Egyptian, Greek, Hindu, Mayan, Norse and Roman pantheons and a plethora of different game modes including MOBA staples and irreverent Matches of the Day (i.e. Battle of the Beards where players can only participate if they select bearded Gods), SMITE has a staying power that other MOBAs lack. That is, if you’re willing to put in the time and effort necessary to achieve level 20.
By collecting items, scroll and other magic tools, you will unlock new building, units and provide you with all the materials needed to become a war lord.
PROS AND CONS
- No overhead map view, the camera is behind the player! It sounds crazy but the inability constantly see what’s up ahead to keep tabs on enemies forces players to stay on their toes and constantly engage with the gameplay. It also allows for more super satisfying stealth kills.
- MOTD. The Matches of the Day always have some kind of funny theme and typically end up being more chaotic and humorous than your average bought.
- Auto-buy and Auto-level. SMITE’s character builder lets you pre-select items and abilities to auto-buy and auto-level as you play. Therefore, in a fast-paced match, your experience points will be assigned to the feature you want to rank up without you having to worry about it.
- User interface outside matches could use some sprucing up. It can be counterintuitive at times.
- Late-game balance needs improvement. Sometimes a small advantage can snowball out of control and prematurely end a match
Minimum System Requirements:
OS: Win Xp 32
CPU: Pentium D 830 3.0GHz
Or own an Xbox One